Friday, July 11, 2008

Chunky Applesauce

I've never really made this -- my sister, Jamie, and my mom were more of the ones who wanted and made it all the time when I was growing up. But, Adrie wanted me to post the instructions -- so, simple as they may be -- here they are:

First you peel and core apples (I used Granny Smith)
Then you chunk them up in large chunks
Microwave for 5 min, smash with potato masher and microwave up to 5 or 6 min more -- until it's the chunk consistency that you want.
Add cinnamon and sugar to taste. (I used less than 1/8 c. sugar for 4 apples and it was plenty sweet)
Serve warm. (I like it cold too.)






2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Looks good! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Kallie said...

my friend from OHIO also made it this way and it was SOOOO yummy!

You will need:
1/2 peck of apples - any kind you want. I use Gala.
Apple Cider or Apple Juice
Sugar
Cinnamon
Nutmeg (optional)

Peel, core, and chunk apples
Put them in a saucepan and add cider or juice. Not a alot - the apples have a lot of moisture in them which will come out. Just cover the bottom of the pan with the cider - you can add more later if you need to.
Simmer the apples and liquid for about 30 minutes (?) then use a potato masher to mash the apples. Make as chunky or smooth as you like. Add the sugar at the end. I don't use very much but it depends on how sweet the apples you used were. Add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.